Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Quality Over Quantity

There is something to be said about talking too much ... and I would like to say it. Allow me to prelude this rant with the fact that I have been, am and always will be a talker. My fourth grade teacher once told me she was going to put a muzzle on me. Not only did I talk excessively, but I did it at an almost incomprehensible speed. Being ADHD, or so I have been told several times, accounted for much of this problem. However, thank you to drugs and learned self control, I have the issue mostly under control.



The most irritating kind of talker is one that seems to only ask questions or make comments because they think it sounds intelligent or clever. Often, this type of talker relates almost any topic to themselves, alienating and confusing their audience. These are dangerous qualities to posses when entering the professional world, as there is little time to spare and always something else on the mind of the interviewer.

http://career-advice.monster.com/job-interview/interview-preparation/dont-talk-too-much/article.aspx

The quality of what you say is much more important than how much you say, and key to being heard. Don't stray from the subject and be mindful of your audience. Are you allowing them to be a part of the dialogue? Is your exchange equal and have a natural flow? These are things that I must be conscious of everyday and have worked on for years. Maybe this is the reason I have little patience for those who speak with reckless abandon ...  

No comments:

Post a Comment