Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Art of Networking

Networking is a word that people love to throw around in the business world ... but what does it really mean for students like us?

I met a gentleman in the Denver airport on my way to New York last week, and we had a really great conversation. It all started when I asked the United worker if I could use the power strip that was plugged in next to the desk. Well, it turns out that it was this gentleman's power strip and I had no business asking the woman at the United desk if I could use it. Needless to say, we had a good laugh about it and he allowed me to charge my computer.

We chatted through our layovers about my college career, what I wanted to do with life, and his career with BNSF. He had recently visited Great Falls, my hometown, for work and we chuckled about the characters commonly seen walking around the town. Little did I know, I was speaking with the recruiter from BNSF and that he saw me as a potential fit for the company.

I was shocked when he handed me a card and told me he would like to discuss a potential career with BNSF after graduation. He gave me his information as well as the recruiter that works in the Montana region, stating that my ease of conversing with a stranger and the way I carried myself stood out.

  

When I landed in NY, I told my mom and aunt about my meeting in the airport, to which my aunt replied, "good job networking." Ding! The light went on -- my simple meeting and conversation with a stranger was networking. It may not always be that easy, but it is everywhere.

My important takeaway from this experience was to always be your charming self and never underestimate the power or position of the person to whom you are speaking. I have already received an email from my new acquaintance, reminding me to stay in touch and not forget BNSF as a possibility in my future.

The following article offers some solid advice for networking and getting your foot in the door, as it is not always intuitive.

7 Tips for Becoming an Expert Networker

No comments:

Post a Comment